Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Keep Dejan In Australia

At the 2008 Australian championships there was a petition signed by players in order to persuade the Australian Immigration Department to allow Dejan Antic permenant residency in Australia.

I would also like to do something for Dejan.

I would like to start an online petition for Dejan Antic

What I would like people to do is to comment below on how you think Dejan would positively impact on Australian Chess and the Australian Society in general. Also provide a Full name and the name of the chess club you belong to. Lets see if this takes off!

Eg:

I believe that Ejan atic is a great chess mind and he is able to share with students his chess wisdom to players from beginners to advanced players. He works with various schools to implement chess into the schools extra curricular activities. Chess has a proven effect on school children in various ways. The more chess is promoted the more chess players we will have the more masters Australia will have in the future.

Trent Parker
Campbelltown Collegians Chess Club

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

He applied in the wrong category from what I've heard.

He should try contacting the Minister of Immigration to review his application, and the President of the ACF should also get involved.

Trent, if you track down Antics phone number and email it to me (PM me on OzChess) I will see what I can do to help, but it may be a case of the horse having already bolted from the stable.

AO

Adamski said...

Dejan Antic is an excellent chess player and trainer. In chess he is not only an International Grand Master but also a recognised FIDE Trainer. He is already doing alot of training of chess players in Australia, and has been engaged by my club as our coach. He is also a thoroughly nice guy. I believe that his chess qualifications are more than sufficient for him to be of great benefit to Australia and therefore he should be granted permanent residency.

Jonathan Adams
Manly Chess Club, NSW.

Adamski said...

Dejan Antic's mobile number is 0423 368 980. E.g. it is in the Manly Chess Club press release re Dejan on Cherss Chat Forum. Is Anon certain he applied "in the wrong category"? If so, give him a call.

The chess nut said...

AO= Arrogant one i presume.

Antic got the visa wrong the first time he came to australia but that was last time. He ha to go back and apply after one year to come back to australia.

Regards

TCN

Anonymous said...

Well, I guess you could just ask him what permanent resident visa he applied for and let us know here. I am guessing he applied for a skills visa when he should have applied in the distinguished talent category.

If that is the case then it becomes a question of whether he can apply in the other category having already lodged an application for a skills based visa.

As a lawyer I successfully navigated my way through the system myself in applying for a permanent resident visa. That was about 4 years ago now, and I can tell you its a very time consuming process.

Moreover I would need much more information about Antic's actual situation to give him any meaningful advice.

Arrogant-One