Sunday, September 09, 2007

NSW Championships..... No longer the Stayers race

The NSW Championships used to be a 9 round tournament over nine weeks. To me This was the Melbourn (Or should that be Sydney) cup of chess. It was a stayers race. The winner had to maintain form over the several months of the Championshipd.

I saw the nine rounds like this: The first three rounds saw the pace set. It sort of determined the players to beat for the tournament and who was in form for the start of the tournament. The second three games is like the horses coming around the final turn. Players jostling for position and sometimes the original frontrunners may fall back into the pack. The final three games: the players have jostled into position for the sprint home. This is it! Down the main straight. the race is won in these final games. It may take until the final game before the race iswon.

This year in the Integra NSW State Championships the 7 round format has taken away from the traditional feel of the 9 round tournament.

Today we play the fourth round of the championships and Instead of coming into the turn it sora feels like we have a sharp bend rathaer a turn to negotiate before running the final 3 game sprint. I'm currently setting the pace in the minor. I hope I can maintain the lead I have and sprint away from my competitors.

No comments: